This is a spin on a paella, only it's made to serve a crowd. Paella, as it is, takes quite an effort to make but if you just use 1 pan and toss everything in increments, then you cut down on time and you've got yourself a party dish. You'll need 3 spices to execute this: turmeric, paprika and cumin.
1. Cook a small pot of rice with turmeric powder to give it a yellow coloring and a slight musky taste.
2. In a big pan, saute the following in order/increments, allowing each ingredient to cook:
- chopped onion
- chicken strips
- sausage slices (I used schublig)
- minced garlic
- peeled shrimp (at this point, season the meats with a light sprinkle of paprika)
- broccoli florets
- sliced red bell pepper
- tomato slices
3. Mix in the cooked rice adding a squirt of tomato paste for added tomato-ey flavor and two tablespoons (or more) of water for added moisture and to help bind the mixture (and avoid drying out the rice). Season liberally with cumin powder (or according to your preference). Check if you need to season again with more salt and pepper.
4. Top with sliced hard boiled eggs and garnish with parsley.
Note: You can add more meats like shellfish to this dish. Place a slice of lime to each serving/plate to squeeze over on the paella when ready to eat.